Alpha Engineering, Inc. provides consulting electrical engineering services to electric utilities, commercial and industrial entities, colleges and universities, and renewable energy developers and providers. In addition to offering a competitive salary, we offer benefits that include major medical, prescription coverage, dental, vision, life-insurance, short and long-term disability, accidental death, 401(k), and profit sharing. We offer PTO and great work-life flexibility.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The successful candidate must be able to develop the proper design and specifications of assigned substation projects.
Job requirements include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Provides engineering services on various matters including substation design, coordination studies, specifications and compliance, equipment specification and purchase, cost estimating, budget preparation, permitting, public hearings, relay protection schemes and control/communications design.
- Designs, supervises, and/or reviews the design of substations including preparing specifications, supervising the bidding and selection process and construction inspection and project management.
- Administers the flow of design information, requirements, and assistance among and between clients, interconnected utilities, manufacturers, field construction representatives, survey contractors and land owners.
- Provides the appropriate detail and supporting documentation associated with the design of substation projects.
- Ensures that each design assignment incorporates facilities and equipment that are designed and can be operated in accordance with required standards of safety, NERC compliance requirements, in accordance with RUS-approved standards, and sound engineering practices.
- Stays abreast of substation design techniques, technologies, research and development innovations, alternatives and/or expansions of same, with emphasis on logistics, economy and service.
- Complete simple design calculations and studies as required.
- May be responsible for new departmental standards and specification development and review.
- May supervise entry-level engineers on a per project basis.
- May be required to perform other duties as assigned.
- Strong project management ability: Able to develop and implement plans that are effective in attaining established goals; garners resources and defines processes to complete projects; manages progress and implements mid-stream changes, as needed. Ability to manage multiple projects with varying scopes and timelines.
- Problem solving ability: Able to apply systems thinking to generate solutions; focuses on process rather than isolated events; obtains multiple assessments of a situation and identifies trouble spots; evaluates alternative solutions.
- Excellent communication skills: Able to clearly communicate with others by phone, in writing, and in person. Strong writing skills for both email and formal report formats. Must be able to maintain professional and respectful tone in communications. Excel in both verbal and nonverbal communication abilities.
- Conflict management: Posses ability to mediate problems between coworkers, clients, vendors, and other team members.
- Listening: Ability to listen the ideas and concerns of your coworkers, clients, vendors, and other team members using active listening, asking questions for clarification, demonstrating concern, and using and paying attention to nonverbal cues.
- Reliability: Accomplish assigned tasks, meet customer deadlines, and achieve project milestones to gain client and colleague’s trust.
- Strong customer service orientation
- Demonstrated level of professionalism and positive attitude
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering or Electrical Engineering Technology from an ABET accredited university preferred; background in Structural Engineering considered.
- 7+ years of practical substation (4kV through 161kV) experience required. Other experience levels may be considered.
- Good knowledge of NEC and/or NESC
- PE or ability to obtain professional license a plus.
- CAD experience preferred
- Maintain valid driver’s license
- Must successfully pass background and driver’s history check as well as drug and alcohol testing.
- Able to travel 5-15% of time, with occasional over-night travel.
- Position is located on the west side of Indianapolis.
Inquiries can be sent to the following address, or by filling fill out the form below: