Alpha Engineering, Inc. provides consulting electrical engineering services to electric utilities, commercial and industrial entities, colleges and universities, and renewable energy developers and providers. In addition to offering a competitive salary, we offer benefits that include major medical, prescription coverage, dental, vision, life-insurance, short and long-term disability, accidental death, 401(k), and profit sharing. We offer PTO and great work-life flexibility.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The successful candidate will assures through adequate system planning, design, and project management, that our customer’s electric systems will provide the highest quality and reliability of service possible. Develop short and long ranges system plans for customers’ distribution systems that emphasizes economy, reliability and compatibility. Preform relaying, coordination, arc flash, and power quality studies for electrical distribution systems and industrial facilities.
Job requirements include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Performs distribution system protection analysis and provides support for others.
- Assist in the preparation of construction work plans, long range plans, system planning reports, and system protection and power requirement studies.
- Designs electric system facilities and develops specifications for major items of equipment
- Develops contract documents for construction and for materials acquisition
- Monitors design and construction activities to ensure compliance with NESC, RUS, and other requirements and standards.
- Analyzes current system data and produces plans for future transmission and substation capacity expansion. Ensures adequate system capacity, services and reliability and optimal economy.
- Performs electrical power system studies in the area of power flow, stability and related topics utilizing computational modeling platforms.
- Facilitates planning of system additions modifications and improvements with interconnected utilities.
- Perform power quality investigations, troubleshooting, and develop corrective actions, reports, and findings.
- Strong project management ability: Able to develop and implement plans that are effective in attaining established goals; garners resources and defines processes to complete projects; manages progress and implements mid-stream changes, as needed. Ability to manage multiple projects with varying scopes and timelines.
- Problem solving ability: Able to apply systems thinking to generate solutions; focuses on process rather than isolated events; obtains multiple assessments of a situation and identifies trouble spots; evaluates alternative solutions.
- Excellent communication skills: Able to clearly communicate with others by phone, in writing, and in person. Strong writing skills for both email and formal report formats. Must be able to maintain professional and respectful tone in communications. Excel in both verbal and nonverbal communication abilities.
- Conflict management: Posses ability to mediate problems between coworkers, clients, vendors, and other team members.
- Listening: Ability to listen the ideas and concerns of your coworkers, clients, vendors, and other team members using active listening, asking questions for clarification, demonstrating concern, and using and paying attention to nonverbal cues.
- Reliability: Accomplish assigned tasks, meet customer deadlines, and achieve project milestones to gain client and colleague’s trust.
- Strong customer service orientation
- Demonstrated level of professionalism and positive attitude
- Ability to exercise flexibility to work effectively in a changing environment
- Advanced computer and technological skills
- Demonstrated knowledge of mathematics and statistics, statistical analysis and forecasting
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Associates or Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering or Electrical Engineering Technology from an ABET accredited university
- Experience in the Utility or Industrial Power fields
- Knowledge of electrical theory, completed courses in power engineering preferred
- Knowledge of overcurrent relaying
- Knowledge of CAD software
- Good understanding of electrical design and AutoCAD tools
- Good knowledge of NEC and/or NESC
- Experience with engineering software such as Aspen, Easy Power, ETap, Milsoft, SKM, is preferred
- Power quality understanding, troubleshooting, and investigation skills
- PE or ability to obtain professional license a plus
- Maintain valid driver’s license
- Must successfully pass background and driver’s history check as well as drug and alcohol testing.
- Able to travel 5-15% of time, with occasional over-night travel.
- Position is located on the west side of Indianapolis.
Inquiries can be sent to the following address, or by filling fill out the form below: