Alpha Engineering, Inc. provides consulting electrical engineering services to electric utilities, commercial and industrial entities, colleges and universities, and renewable energy developers and providers. Preform relaying, coordination, arc flash, and power quality studies for electrical distribution systems and industrial facilities.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Build and analyze electrical distribution system models in various engineering programs
- Develop reports for engineering studies
- Validate study results
- Report writing
- Customer service
- Data Collection- Traveling to industrial job sites to conduct electrical site audits by examining existing equipment and electrical systems
- Report Creation- Organizing data from job site visit by utilizing software packages to create analysis reports on the electrical system.
- Report Review- Collaborating with electrical engineers and designers to review reports and identify risk remediation or mitigation techniques
- Label Installation- Printing and installing safety identification labels on equipment per the generated reports.
- Electrical Design- Utilizing plant system knowledge to assist in the design or mitigation of risks within the facilities
- Ensure hazard warning labels, safety placards and tags (as applicable) are applied to all studied devices
- Review IR and device coordination studies and resolve compliance discrepancies with vendor, construction and maintenance teams
- Escalate safety or compliance risks to the controlling authority and aid development of mitigation strategies
- Serve as s technical advisor for the application of OSHA, National Fire Protection Administration, and IEEE electrical safety requirements
- Provide OSHA arc flash and hazardous energy control support to field maintenance teams for new product integration or facility renovation
- Strong project management ability: Able to develop and implement plans that are effective in attaining established goals; garners resources and defines processes to complete projects; manages progress and implements mid-stream changes, as needed. Ability to manage multiple projects with varying scopes and timelines.
- Problem solving ability: Able to apply systems thinking to generate solutions; focuses on process rather than isolated events; obtains multiple assessments of a situation and identifies trouble spots; evaluates alternative solutions.
- Excellent communication skills: Able to clearly communicate with others by phone, in writing, and in person. Strong writing skills for both email and formal report formats. Must be able to maintain professional and respectful tone in communications. Excel in both verbal and nonverbal communication abilities.
- Conflict management: Posses ability to mediate problems between coworkers, clients, vendors, and other team members.
- Listening: Ability to listen the ideas and concerns of your coworkers, clients, vendors, and other team members using active listening, asking questions for clarification, demonstrating concern, and using and paying attention to nonverbal cues.
- Reliability: Accomplish assigned tasks, meet customer deadlines, and achieve project milestones to gain client and colleague’s trust.
- Strong customer service orientation
- Demonstrated level of professionalism and positive attitude
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering or Electrical Engineering Technology from an ABET accredited university preferred
- Associate’s degree or equivalent from two-year college or technical school considered
- Background in Civil, Mechanical or Structural Engineering considered
- Experience in the Utility or Industrial Power fields
- Knowledge of electrical theory, completed courses in power engineering preferred
- Knowledge of overcurrent relaying
- Knowledge of CAD software
- Good understanding of electrical design and AutoCAD tools
- Good knowledge of NEC and/or NESC
- Experience with engineering software such as Aspen, Easy Power, ETap, Milsoft, SKM, is preferred
- Power quality understanding, troubleshooting, and investigation skills
- PE or ability to obtain professional license a plus
- Maintain valid driver’s license
- Must successfully pass background and driver’s history check as well as drug and alcohol testing.
- Able to travel 5-15% of time, with occasional over-night travel.
- Position is located on the west side of Indianapolis.
Alpha Engineering, Inc.
7760 West New York Street
Indianapolis, IN 46214